Post #21

Security and Projects

Group: Clan Dogsbody
Thank(s): 1098
From: A Magical Place, with toys in the million, all under one roof
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (dpbmt @ Aug 9 2015, 12:07 PM) *
my pirate copy of win 7 updated to win 10 just fine ,

Personally I would ditch the 980 (seems a waste on a 60hz screen IMO) , get a 390/970 and put the savings toward building an X99/socket 2011 system (i.e 5820k )

oh and them WD green drives are painfully slow , you want a blue or black if you go WD

I'm surprised by that with windows 10 ohmy.gif

The 5820k's are nice 22nm lithography, but essentially looking at something like 6 cores, 12 threads at 3.6ghz? At lot of games these days are poor at running across many cores. Taking chivalry for example, throwing a massive multisocket beast at it but it does better on an OCd 4790k as it tends to prefer core clock speed processing instead of multiple processing streams

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TurboMidget
post Aug 9 2015, 01:03 PM
Post #22

Knight Errant

Group: Members
Thank(s): 68
Member No.: 4,430

QUOTE (MonkeyFiend @ Aug 9 2015, 11:37 AM) *
@hobbit: the static wristbands are a waste of money. I've handled components for many years without issue. One sensible precaution is before handling chips ground yourself out on something in the house e.g. most central heating copper pipes are earthed in the UK, so touching one of these before tinkering with the cpu/boards should earth you.

This depends on the circumstances. If you for example have a tiled floor and like to run around the house naked, sure, you'll do fine without a wristband. If you however like to wear your warm, fluffy socks on your warm, fluffy carpet, you might want to consider one. Most manufacturers take precautions to prevent static electricity from messing with your hardware, but just as with a fire you'd be wishing you had done something to help you out once your house burns down. Besides, they cost about as much as the nicer artic cooler stuff tongue.gif

QUOTE (dpbmt @ Aug 9 2015, 01:07 PM) *
Personally I would ditch the 980 (seems a waste on a 60hz screen IMO) , get a 390/970 and put the savings toward building an X99/socket 2011 system (i.e 5820k )

He might have a nice 1080p/60Hz screen now but will he have one in two years as well? Besides, the GPU will almost always prove to be the bottleneck in the future, so why pick a better CPU instead of a GPU?

Also, what does dankest mean nowadays? I always thought it had something to do with pot.

+Quote Post
Stupid Fat Hobbi...
post Aug 9 2015, 01:32 PM
Post #23

Squire

Thank(s): 21
Member No.: 4,447

The wristband is like £1 and I have 3 cats which dump hair everywhere and a lot of carpets, better safe than sorry, and it is my first time so I want to be careful.

I'm not budging on the CPU and GPU, I want the 980 and I can always replace it if I need to.

Originally it came from smoking some good ass dope kush, but it works in this case because this pc is going to make me high, it is my new addiction.

Also, does the case need to be Corsair for the PSU to fit, or are pretty much all pc components interchangeable nowadays?

+Quote Post
TurboMidget
post Aug 9 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #24

Knight Errant

Interchangable. Most PSU slots nowadays are just a cut-out back part and room for your PSU. No more brackets etc. Screws go on the back again. If I'm not mistaken, most PSU's will have roughly the same dimensions too.

And I'll schedule some pc-free rehab for you. How does the 21st of August sound to you?

+Quote Post
Stupid Fat Hobbi...
post Aug 9 2015, 02:48 PM
Post #25

Squire

Day after my gcse results, I'll either be crying or celebrating, so we will see, but that is probably when I will order all the components. What would this rehab entail or am I just missing a joke or something? lol

+Quote Post
Yet Another Fool
post Aug 9 2015, 04:17 PM
Post #26

Knight

Thank(s): 98
Member No.: 4,499

QUOTE (dpbmt @ Aug 9 2015, 01:07 PM) *
oh and them WD green drives are painfully slow , you want a blue or black if you go WD

Didn't see that.

Once upon a time, I hated mechanical hard disks. And then I met a true beast, the Barracuda.

+Quote Post
TurboMidget
post Aug 9 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #27

Knight Errant

Just a joke, my sweet hobbit love.png

+Quote Post
The Malefic Trou...
post Aug 9 2015, 05:16 PM
Post #28

Knight Errant

Group: Old Git SM Members
Thank(s): 344
Member No.: 4,549

I would like to take this minute to appreciate SSD.

Going off-topic but before I got my first SSD I read a lot about them and thought to myself 'can they really be that great?' and fuck they are.

Thank you for reading.

See you on the next Storytime with Trout.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stupid Fat Hobbi...
post Aug 9 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #29

Squire

So is that Barracuda hard drive worth getting instead of the one in my list?

Also I didn't even know what an SSD was recently, I did computing at school but we learned next to nothing in it, I thought I was pretty good with computer knowledge but I guess not. At least I can write 90 words per minute on a keyboard, not a total pleb.

+Quote Post
Yet Another Fool
post Aug 9 2015, 06:09 PM
Post #30

Knight

Hobbit, I think the new Barracuda disks are (one of) the best fully mechanical hard disks performance-wise.
I have two 3TB and one 2TB disks for almost three years and they are still rocking. I sometimes transfer movies from my SSD (download folder on main disk (I know I can move it but I won't)) to a 2TB barracuda, and it starts writing at 300MB/s and doesnt go slower than 140MB/s so its pretty speedy for a hard disk.

+Quote Post
dpbmt
post Aug 10 2015, 11:23 AM
Post #31

Filthy Peasant

Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 4,650

QUOTE (MonkeyFiend @ Aug 9 2015, 01:21 PM) *
I'm surprised by that with windows 10 ohmy.gif

The 5820k's are nice 22nm lithography, but essentially looking at something like 6 cores, 12 threads at 3.6ghz? At lot of games these days are poor at running across many cores. Taking chivalry for example, throwing a massive multisocket beast at it but it does better on an OCd 4790k as it tends to prefer core clock speed processing instead of multiple processing streams

Was quite surprised my self too , its fully activated and receiving updates too , wonder how long it will last tho ... wink.gif

Ye i guess so , x99 just looks more appealing to me this time round tho , just the silly prices on ram putting me off upgrading angry.gif

Even so 4970k is a solid chip , it will last a lonnng time.

QUOTE (TurboMidget @ Aug 9 2015, 02:03 PM) *
He might have a nice 1080p/60Hz screen now but will he have one in two years as well? Besides, the GPU will almost always prove to be the bottleneck in the future, so why pick a better CPU instead of a GPU?

depends what you want from your pc i guess , x99 has a few advantages but at a (slightly) higher cost !

+Quote Post
Stupid Fat Hobbi...
post Aug 10 2015, 02:26 PM
Post #32

Squire

Could someone recommend a good case for me please. I have a few in mind but I'm not sure what brands are best or if it is the right size and all that. Thanks.

+Quote Post
TurboMidget
post Aug 10 2015, 05:26 PM
Post #33

Knight Errant

I have a massive, completely unnecessary case, the Cooler Master 690 III. That thing is absolutely gorgeous. Massive, but gorgeous. I think the dimensions float somewhere between a mid-tower and full sized tower. Decent build quality too so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still using it in 10 years. I paid about 80 euros for it though so it'll be in the 70 pound range in the UK.

As for brands, they don't really tend to matter, but well known brands such as Cooler Master, Corsair and BitFenix will have a name to uphold so you can expect those cases to be of better quality. I've heard good things about Lian Li cases too but those cost as much as your average CPU.

+Quote Post
The Malefic Trou...
post Aug 10 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #34

Knight Errant

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/...udget_cases_50/ <- might be worth reading through all of that

How about something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Carbide-Se...r/dp/B009GXZ8MM

A lot of people (players) seem to enjoy it. Comes with 2 fans with space for 3 more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yet Another Fool
post Aug 10 2015, 08:48 PM
Post #35

Knight

QUOTE (The Malefic Trout @ Aug 10 2015, 08:29 PM) *
Comes with 2 fans with space for 3 more.

I have a lot of fans too. Not enough girls but can't be that picky.

+Quote Post
Bucket
post Aug 10 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #36

Knight Errant

Group: Veteran SM Members
Thank(s): 409
Member No.: 4,609

QUOTE (Yet Another Fool @ Aug 10 2015, 10:48 PM) *
I have a lot of fans too. Not enough girls but can't be that picky.

I have a sign on my door that says ''no gurls alloud1!!!!1111'' anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stupid Fat Hobbi...
post Aug 10 2015, 09:07 PM
Post #37

Squire

Ah damn, that is a good choice but I think I need more than just 2 USB slots, need 2 for my keyboard and mouse and probably 1 for other things, like installing my OS from a USB stick. Maybe I could get away with taking out the keyboard and replacing it with the USB stick for that one occasion, I'm not sure if the keyboard is vitally necessary in the process of setting it up. I'll have a look on the reddit discussion though, I will probably find the perfect one there.

EDIT: I'm seeing a lot of cases with very few fans built into them, how hard is it to add fans and how would I do it? Is it basically just screwing them in to random open spaces around the case? Also can 2 fans keep the components cool or is it almost necessary to add extra fans? And about the USB ports, should I just get one of those multi port usb hubs that allow you to plug in more? If I stick with the case that monkey originally suggested, would I need to add extra fans? Sorry about all the questions, I literally have no experience with desktops, but hey, teach a man to fish and he can build his own pc I guess.

+Quote Post
The Malefic Trou...
post Aug 10 2015, 10:31 PM
Post #38

Knight Errant

Hobbit, your motherboard comes with 12 USB ports, 6 x 3.0 and 6 x 2.0. It says so right in its Amazon description. Your case wouldn't even need to have ports. smile.gif

There are designated places for the fans to be placed in. You know, where all the little holes in the case are. So the air can flow. biggrin.gif Not a fan expert, but it's definitely not hard to get more of them or install them, don't worry there.

Long story short: wouldn't worry about overheating unless you're overclocking or it's ridiculously hot inside. Side fans help, two is minimum since one sucks cold air in and the other pumps it out. But still it's mainly your components' personal fans job to keep their bosses nice and cool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stupid Fat Hobbi...
post Aug 10 2015, 11:02 PM
Post #39

Squire

lol I really don't get this, I guess I have to wait until I see it with my own eyes. I know the motherboard has the 12 ports, but how do you plug the USB sticks into the ports unless they are built into the case? Do you just plug them into the actual motherboard or something? I thought that just meant it had the potential to support up to 12 USB ports if the case could allow that many ports, but I know nothing about this stuff. Damn I am such a noob sad.gif

+Quote Post
Vincent Dank Gog...
post Aug 10 2015, 11:23 PM
Post #40

Peasant

Thank(s): 9
Member No.: 4,692

The motherboard will slot into the case in such a way that the USB ports will be accessible from the back of the case. Usually there are a few audio or USB ports on the front of the case, and those will plug into the motherboard via a cable provided by the case.

QUOTE (Bucket @ Aug 10 2015, 10:06 PM) *
I have a sign on my door that says ''no gurls alloud1!!!!1111'' anyway.

He's carried that over from the duel server, you know.

--------------------
[insert dank meme here]

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd October 2024 - 08:58 PM
Sneaky Monkeys Clan :: MonkeyFiend.com