> Our first man made disaster! Oh NOES!
Aki
post Jan 3 2011, 11:21 AM
Post #1

Sergeant

Group: Clan Members
Thank(s): 1
Member No.: 4,259

I have the unfortunate task of informing you all of our first man made disaster.

At around 3am GMT a massive forest fire devastated around 30 trees and 1 property last night in Verdantia.

No one was injured (physically... much) however I'm sure that Kirby will be quite upset to learn that it was indeed his property that went up in smoke.

How did this happen? I'd better run through the events leading up to this heinous accident.

----------------------------------------------------------

Kirby decided he'd like a property in Verdantia. Verdantia being protected and having restrictions on building, his actions here might set a precedent. With this in mind Kirby set about building a tree dwelling made from natural material (logs). It was highly successful. However Verdantia has a high level zombie, skele, spider and creeper population making it difficult to survive at night. Kirby struggled every night to continue productivity under heavy zombie attack. Countermeasures were implemented, each time with growing success. This is where our disaster rears its ugly head.

Through frustration at the incessant creeper (boomer) attacks, that end up scarring this natural paradise, measures of not only protection but aggression took place. Resulting in an incredibly effective moat of lava.

During the construction measures were taken to give the property less impact on the surrounding environment. As much of this environment as possible was to remain... tree's being one of them.

During the building of the moat Kirby enlisted the help of others (Aki, Kermit and Chisel) so that the lava moat may be finished sooner and thus giving the creepers less chance of causing more issues.

The 4 worked late into the night, dwindling at first to only Aki and Kirby left. Kirby noting it was late decided to call it a day while Aki decided he'd like to get the moat completed. After a short while Kermit reappeared and joined him. Everything was going we and to plan and completion looked possible... until, around 3/4 completion, (unbeknownst to Aki and Kermit who were both mining for more lava at the time) a tree on the outer perimeter of the lava moat caught fire.

Aki surfaced to add some of the remaining lava to find the scene of devastation you see above.

Upon speculation it was obvious that it was the tree on the outside boundary that had caught fire first as it was the closest to the lava. From this tree the blaze spread quickly to the house and a good deal of the trees surrounding the area.

Kermit and Aki set about putting out the forest fire.

... and here we are now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok folks.

This raises some questions.

Should the use of lava be allowed in protected areas?

If it is, we will have to write up some regulations.

Could this have been prevented? Possibly yes... possibly the tree could have been removed or the lava moat be set lower into the ground.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing... looking back Kadey's own issues with inside lava fountains and wooden flooring should have been a pointer but I guess this just felt like a completely different thing.

My thoughts go out to Kirby for his loss, I shall be implementing Kirb-Aid elsewhere on the forum.

--------------------
Are we going to the same place, and if so can I come?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Qrbrrbl
post Jan 3 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #2

Man at arms

Member No.: 4,262

I dont think its worth trying to use lava again, just means we'll have to come up with a better defence against creepers. To be honest, the trench was working rather well on its own - might be worth pursuing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aki
post Jan 3 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #3

Sergeant

Maybe just a really deep 1 cube wide moat of water?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Qrbrrbl
post Jan 3 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #4

Man at arms

1 cube wouldnt cut it, they would find a way over that, and I think it would be best as an empty ditch. At least that way they die in sunlight and you can shoot the rest with arrows.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kermit
post Jan 3 2011, 01:52 PM
Post #5

Man at arms

Member No.: 4

unfortunly the pic i have of Kirbys house is gone comp crashed last night and lost it

--------------------

+Quote Post
Qrbrrbl
post Jan 3 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #6

Man at arms

I think sustainable living has to be the order of the day in venutia/vverdantia. Wood etc, dont make anything too visible, limited glass, no stone, things like that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
K.
post Jan 3 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #7

Knight Errant

Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 4,133

....so we finally agree that the area formerly known as venusia, can now be called verdantia......

then I come back the next day and its now a broken wasteland sad.gif

I smell a rat, a Rat I tell ya!

--------------------
WIP...

never build your exit to a deep mineshaft next to a lake.......

~Explorer Caste~
1. Always carry Lumber,Coal and a compass
2. Be prepared not to see the light for a good few cycles
3. Profit :D

+Quote Post
Qrbrrbl
post Jan 3 2011, 05:44 PM
Post #8

Man at arms

Honestly, I logged off abou 5 mins before this "conveniently" happened, and Aki was the only one "conveniently" left. Ive replanted the place though

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aki
post Jan 3 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #9

Sergeant

QUOTE (Qrbrrbl @ Jan 3 2011, 05:44 PM) *
Honestly, I logged off abou 5 mins before this "conveniently" happened, and Aki was the only one "conveniently" left. Ive replanted the place though

I've never been so convenient before tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nightling
post Jan 5 2011, 04:57 AM
Post #10

Page

Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 4,123

Didn't anyone ever tell you boys not to play with matches?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th October 2024 - 03:13 AM
Sneaky Monkeys Clan :: MonkeyFiend.com